私の話 || Matt Keoshkerian's Blog

Monday, March 27, 2006

PIE and Sushi. What a great combination!

So, another amazingly fun trip to Tokyo come and gone.
This time it was less of a sightseeing trip and more of a "I want to do things other than sit in my apartment" type of trip.
As mentioned earlier, I went to the Photo Imaging Expo in Tokyo. That was pretty fun.
Big names, such as Canon, Pentax, Fujifilm, Nikon, Kodak, Epson, Adobe, and Apple participated.
Unfortunately, my camera battery died within the first 30 minutes of being there, so I didn't get a chance to take many pictures, but I did get to pick up a lot of reading material and try out some demos.

Epson Handheld Photo Viewer
  • This product currently has three versions. The 40GB, 80GB, and new 80GB with more features.
    It can read from SD or Compactflash cards or the 80GB harddrive. It also has USB and AV out adapters to plug into a TV or Projector, and can be used to create a slideshow.
    A neat product, but pretty expensive


Personal Photo Printer
  • I managed to do a demo with both Kodak and Cannon's photo-quality printing devices. Unfortunately, my camera died and I couldn't use a picture I had, but they did take pictures with their cameras. I found the colour of the Cannon model to be slightly better, however the printer and printing costs are decently costly.


Sandisk SD Ultra
  • This is an SD card which can turn into a USB drive. No adapter required. This is amazing.


I also managed to get a sneak peak at some really awesome (and expensive) binoculars, SLRs (which I want now. haha), and some hands-on time with Apple Aperture.
Of course, there was also the obligatory models.
(What little photos I got here)

Anyway, after the photo expo, I met up with a friend and we went out to get some lunch and check out a few stores.
After which we met up with another friend and headed to our hotel. After taking a short break in the hotel, we headed out again.
Now, they had their hearts set on eating at that French restaurant again. The one I ate at last time. However, dinners are even more expensive. Somewhere in the vicinity of $100 a person. Yea, seeing how this month I've already spent too much money, I decided to just go some place cheaper... Because I can't really jusitfy paying $100 for a meal... That and I'd get slaughtered by my parents. haha.
Anyway, I ended up going to Shibuya and walking around, because I wanted to go to the Apple store first. The ginza store is much more impressive, but that's not a big deal. What's surprising is that i managed to go in without buying anything! haha.
Although I did get the chance to try out the new Apple iPod Hi-Fi. It's a neat little device, had a decently good sound. However, the attached price tag of $400~ didn't really appeal to me... Although a good pair speaker system would be nice.
Anyway, after that I decided to look for a restaurant. Since i had no clue where to go or what was good, I just started wandering and ended up finding this great restaurant. It was a bowl of fried rice with meat, veggies, cheese, and spicy sauce. It was pretty darned tasty, and only 1/10th of the cost of that French restaurant! :P

Anyway, after they finished off their 9 course french crazy meal, we met up and started walking around Aoyama area looking for a lounge. However, we didn't really find anything so I just ended up going back to the hotel while they went out to a bar in Roppongi.

Next day we headed out for a great sushi lunch. It was this great place in Shinjuku that came around on these conveyor belts. It was a tad more expensive than one of the restaurants i go to frequently in Ueda, but it was a lot more tasty. It was really really amazing.
I'm definately going there again next time I go to Tokyo.

Anyway, after Lunch we were walking around Shinjuku looking for stuff to do.

First off, I definately wanted to go to the Square-Enix Showcase. It was a really really awesome store! If you look to your right, you will see a very life-like model of Sephiroth in a glass case in the floor of the store (pictures of the whole case in my set on flickr. Link below)
Pictures here. Go now!
I ended up buying a Tifa model. Next time I go I'm getting the Sephiroth model :)

Later, we went to an arcade, where I found this game called "Quest of D". It's an MMORPG game that uses cards as items, a touch screen for interactivity, as well as a joystick and control buttons. Just doing the introduction was a lot of fun (Luckily, the arcade in Ueda does have that game so I think I'll be visitng quite often ! But the arcade is a 50 minute walk from the downtown station :/). I can't wait to play some more!
After that little bit of fun, we went over to get some Ramen at a really great store in Shibuya. At first I didn't get anything, but later realized I was pretty hungry. And I'm really glad I ate, because it was amazingly tasty. Another "must return" place.
Anyway, that sadly ended my weekend and I returned to the boring land of farms. haha.

Now to study for my econ exam :/
... And write work term reports... Which I need to have three of done by September... Which I have 0 done so far... crap.