Japanese ftw?
So, I'm now pretty determined and believe I can learn enough Japanese in under a year to know enough to write JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) level 2 this december in Canada.
This means I need to:
I've focused far too much time on Kanji recently, even though I need to master a vast majority in a short time. However, I need to really power through my Japanese textbook and maybe even get the second one. My grammar is severely lacking right now.
Also, I really should start reading that book I bought (which I also got for my sister) called "Japanese in MangaLand", which teaches more colloquial Japanese. Obviously thats not going to help too much for the JLPT test, but at least I'd be able to socialize without sounding like a completely uptight person. That and it's really hard to understand what people are saying when they use many obscure and informal verb conjugations.
Anyway, next school term in September is going to prove very interesting. I'm probably going to be taking two maths, a physics course, and potentially two CS courses (that depends, though), AND studying Japanese for the JLPT in December...
Fun times are not ahead.
This means I need to:
- Learn approx 700 more Kanji (Chinese Characters). I can read maybe about 500, but have a decently solid knowledge of 300. Level 2 requires 1000+
- Learn a LOT more grammar and build a much stronger vocabulary. The vocabulary thing shouldn't be too hard, as most words come from combining different Kanji. Since the book I uses throws a lot of examples of the usage of certain Kanji, your vocabulary tends to rise. Not enough though.
As for Grammar... well, lets just not go there :P
I've focused far too much time on Kanji recently, even though I need to master a vast majority in a short time. However, I need to really power through my Japanese textbook and maybe even get the second one. My grammar is severely lacking right now.
Also, I really should start reading that book I bought (which I also got for my sister) called "Japanese in MangaLand", which teaches more colloquial Japanese. Obviously thats not going to help too much for the JLPT test, but at least I'd be able to socialize without sounding like a completely uptight person. That and it's really hard to understand what people are saying when they use many obscure and informal verb conjugations.
Anyway, next school term in September is going to prove very interesting. I'm probably going to be taking two maths, a physics course, and potentially two CS courses (that depends, though), AND studying Japanese for the JLPT in December...
Fun times are not ahead.

