私の話 || Matt Keoshkerian's Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Christmas and 忘年会

こんにちは~
Hello!

Yet another large gap between posts, but thats ok (^_-)
First off, Christmas is coming! Just 10 days away!
It's going to be weird because its my first Christmas away from home, but my Dad is going to come down around the 26th so we can go travel around during the break... Still, going to be weird. Thats for sure.

Anyway, on to the real post! 忘年会!
忘年会 (translated: Forget the year gathering) is a end of year party that is usually celebarated by many people in Japan. Last weekend, our company had their 忘年会 in the ski resort town of Kusatsu, just outside the Nagano Prefecture. We went for two days, Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday(土):
I tried my hand at snowboarding... Lets just say I still feel the pain.
My first time down the hill was less than successful... In fact, not successful at all. I couldn't even stand up, so I pretty much slid down the enitre hill... Second time I actually managed to get up, and pick up too much speed, and trip and fly and roll down 10% of the hill only seeing white... Fun times.
Anyway, I definately wouldn't be opposed to snowboard again... Except this time I would like to try it on a beginner hill, not a "beginner" hill.
Anyway, around 4:00 we headed back to the hotel. And I must say, what an awesome hotel! We had a room that had the traditional Japanese layout and it was great… I want to live in a place like that! They had the tatami floors, the futon on the ground beds, sliding doors, paper walls, and Yukatas! So great.
(On a side note, one of the hotel staff ladies came up and was explaining to us where to go for dinner, how to get there, what time, etc. all in Japanese… and I managed to understand her! Woo go Japanese language skillz)
Anyway, that night I tried the famous Japanese Onsens at the Hotel… Let’s just say that’s an experience I do not want to repeat… Sitting without clothes in a tub of water with other men not wearing clothes… Yea, not really appealing.
After that we had our company dinner in the banquet hall. I would guess about 150~250 people there… And after about 30 minutes, everyone in the room was ridiculously drunk… Absolutely hilarious. I met this one guy, Tanaka, about 6 times. Not within the span of the whole night, but within the span of 1 minute.
Tanaka: “Hi I’m Tanaka”
Matt: “Mattです、よろしくお願いします”
Tanaka: “日本語!上手です!”
Matt: “ありがとうございます!”
Tanaka: “Hi! I’m Tanaka”
Matt: “… Hi I’m Matt”
Tanaka: “Nice to meet you, I’m Tanaka”
… and that goes on…
Anywhoo, dinner was pretty good. There was sashimi, hotpot, crab legs, tempura, shrimp something, and free drinks!
I think I went through 10 bottles of Oolong tea (烏龍茶), but it was free!

Sunday(日):
Nothing too exciting happened. Went on a tour of Kustatsu city, which is a famous ski and onsen town. Took some cool pictures, but I was still pretty tired from Saturday.
Then headed back home where I watched 5 hours of firefly and then Serenity…

Serenity was an ok movie, but definitely not as good as I hoped it to be. The characters seemed different and I didn’t really get the whole firefly universe from the movie. Plus the plot was sort of dumb :/ Oh well, I guess this just means no more new seasons of firefly…

Pictures of the weekend: 忘年会