私の話 || Matt Keoshkerian's Blog

Monday, November 28, 2005

Only in Tokyo...

So, I came back from a weekend trip to Tokyo yesterday... Finally found some time to blog about it! Good times... Man I wish I lived in Tokyo :P

Anyway, it was a pretty fun time. Got to visit Ginza, Akihabara, and Shibuya! As well, I had the chance to check out more of Shinjuku (both daytime and night-time) and its huge sky scrapers, including the famous government building. Surprisingly, the building's 42nd floor observatory (highest in Tokyo) was free so I definitely appreciated that after paying the outrageous Shinkansen fees!

And have any of you ever heard of the famous tightly packed trains that Tokyo has during rush hour? Well I finally had my chance to experience it! I was literally packed tightly into the train, no room to move my hands or feet. There was a poor lady pushed right up behind me and I never had the chance to take my backpack off (I was not expecting what happened) so she had a nice place to rest her head. Getting onto the train was even more fun... There was no line, no organization, just a mash of people pushing you onto a train. How do you get off? Push people out the door. No mercy, just brute force and a lot of "gomen nasai" shouting! I love Tokyo rush hour.

Since I went for two days, I stayed at a youth hostel in the outskirts of Tokyo (although technically it isn't in Tokyo or the Tokyo Prefecture, the locals consider it a part of the Greater Tokyo Area). It was pretty cool, and cheap! It was a traditional Japanese style decorated room with tatami floors and futon beds... Good times. Except the neighbourhood was quite sketchy (good thing I wasn't there long :P)

After I finally stop being lazy and sort then upload my pictures, I'll post a link.
Until then... またね〜

以上です